the sun is sparkling, the rain rumbling, and we badly need some poetry...

Wednesday 11 April 2012

A.J. Huffman - 3 poems

Stone Desire

At the liquid edge
of the dark.
I began
to understand.
That even the simplest movement
contains a world
of life.
And I was alive.
With that knowledge.
Set free.
In that instant’s discovery.
Crystal.
Shining.
I was delighted
to accept its light
on my back.
But these dream-wings
were more than I expected.
Heavy and hot.
I could not shake
their desire for the sun.
Too close.
I burned.
And they broke.
And we crashed --
heart-first --
into a wall.
Painted
in the bloody shades
of reality.
Disappointment.
And spiteful delight.
   
From Quinine Whiteness

I crawl
from underneath your shadow.
A child
reborn
to blindness.
I was meant to finish your form.
But something in our mixture got lost.
I believe it was me.
Or maybe just my mind.
Though the results are the same.
Just a different shade of chain.
For a different shape of beast.
Sane or not sane.
You will break me.
Bind me.
And bone me.
As I am owned.
By you.
My home.

Not Silent Or Silenced

And if the door opens.
Scream.
Higher.
Louder.
Harder.
Wake up the world.
To your rage.
They will see it.
Shining.
A flame.
Fit.
To fell the sky.
If you try
to focus it
on me.
It will prove
you are a fool.
For I am the only star left.
You need me.
To see.
I am your target.
Insane.
I can set your pain.
Free.
If I decide
to accept.
The kiss.
Of your shadow’s stare.

BIOGRAPHY: A.J. Huffman is a poet and freelance writer in Daytona Beach, Florida.  She has previously published three collections of poetry: The Difference Between Shadows and Stars, Carrying Yesterday, and Cognitive Distortion.  She has also published her work in national and international literary journals such as Avon Literary Intelligencer, Writer's Gazette, and The Penwood Review.  Find more about A.J. Huffman, including additional information and links to her work at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000191382454 and https://twitter.com/#!/poetess222