the sun is sparkling, the rain rumbling, and we badly need some poetry...

Wednesday 7 September 2011

Gordon Purkis - Three Poems

Heremeadow

Heremeadow –
underneath Mount Sadness
is where I lay
while the wheels keep rolling by

Heremeadow –
where the hush and sway of
limitless life bends a knee to the swell of
afternoon’s countless hours

Heremeadow –
fields of fire where my soul cries,
cries over all the days of yesterday,
days that never were and always are

Heremeadow –
a thread spun of sunlight
and life is a tender thread
woven by miracle

Heremeadow –
where everything lasts forever
but nothing is permanent,
a time when regret is palpable,
how the years seem to have been
wasted on nothing of importance

Heremeadow –
where we put a value on everything
done or said
undone or unsaid
where we learned to judge our gifts
as too cold, too soft, too hard

Heremeadow –
countenance of disappointment
where dreams are a dark and hazy
sojourn into the subconscious

Lady Poverty

To realize I am without means
is the doorway I walk through
to wealth
holding water in my hand
dancing without rhythm
to no music
shrugging my shoulders but not sighing

*

Not that I don’t love her
but her constant complaints
about her temperature
makes me think of Goldilocks,
vacillating between porridges and beds,
except she never comments
when things are just right

*

And if you ask me if I’m sometimes troubled
I’ll say I either am or was
and maybe it’s not being a saint that sucks,
not realizing that to be a saint you must
be troubled, poor, starved,
with a constant hunger for the nonmaterial,
playing an empty-handed game that windmills play
and twirl


It will be told

It will be told
like all of the stories that have been told of
how X became Z,
either suddenly or slowly,
how the creature was brought to earth
and how we ended up having to kill it
and what it told us about ourselves.

But that’s fiction and I only want to know the truth –
even though I wasn’t there.
I just want to know one thing
and move on to the next thing
do one thing, know it, and have it be true.

Then there’s destiny
and there’s God’s plan.
Somehow life began once upon a time when I opened my eyes
and it carried on
and it’s brought me here to today.
           
If there’s something I’m not doing
                                      that I should be
  I need to / want to know what it is

If there’s something I’m doing
                                      that I shouldn't be
  I need to / want to know what it is

Once there was nothing but time
but now there’s never enough.

But it will be told, the story, and it will be true.
It will be told so let it unfold.